Recently I’ve been craving homemade hummus and I thought it’d be a healthy snack or lunch food to take with me to university. So I made some today and I decided to make it extra protein packed to keep me going throughout the day.
I read through a few different recipes and mix and matched to make some delicious hummus of my own 🙂
I also wanted to make it cruelty free so it is vegan/plantbased and I used Fairtrade organic oil. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
The oil is called Zaytoun Fairtrade Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and below is a link to where you can buy it:
The website Traidcraft is a great shop to buy fairly traded foods and crafts/gifts.
This recipe only takes 5 to 10 minutes as you just bung everything into the blender and whizz it up so don’t need any pro chefs here for a delicious hummus.
Now let’s get into the recipe:
- A tin of chickpeas (approximately 200g ). Remember to rinse them well.
- 2 tbsp. of Tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2tsp of cumin
- 1 heaped desert spoon/10g of vegan protein powder (I used rice protein)
- pepper and salt to taste
- the juice of one lemon (I squeezed in a tad more as I went, so add what you like)
- around 2 tbsp. of Extra virgin Olive oil
- water as needed
- put all ingredients into a food processor or blender
- Blend until you have the consistency that you like and add water or oil as you go to change consistency and texture.
- Then to put into a serving bowl and garnish with a little oil and fresh herbs. I had some fresh chives from the garden.
- Then prepare dipping foods. Maybe some carrots, cucumbers and peppers or tortilla wraps toasted and pitta bread. Whatever you like best with hummus and then share with the family if you are feeling generous 😉
I hope you all enjoy this recipe and play around with different ingredients you like 🙂
See you next time,